• The Mystery of History

Tillie & Clementine: Noises in the Night {Review}

I received this product free from Buoyancy Public Relations for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. Any blessings we receive go to helping our homeschool and grocery budgets!

Tillie & Clementine: Noises in the Night {Review}Tillie & Clementine Noises in the Night by Dan Killeen
Series: Tillie & Clementine

Find the Author: Website, Goodreads
ISBN: 0989847411
Genres: Juvenile Fiction
Published by Clovercroft Publishing, Happy Fun Books on January 1st 2015
Pages: 32
Format: ARC
Source: Buoyancy Public Relations
Buy on Amazon | Buy on BN.com | Buy on Thriftbooks
Find on Goodreads

Tillie and Clementine live with their parents in an old brick house down in Benton Park. One night Mommy has to go to a neighborhood meeting, leaving Daddy in charge for a few hours. He manages to make the girls dinner, get them ready for bed, and tell them a thrilling bedtime story. A little later, though, the girls are awakened by strange noises coming from just outside their window! What could it be and what will they do? Noises in the Night contains a story within a story when Daddy tells the girls a bedtime tale about two princesses. For about the middle ten pages we are in the medieval world of castles, crowns, and dragons before returning to the original narrative and present day. From there young readers enjoy anticipating the finale of the book as it echoes the plot of the bedtime story. This device encourages children to recognize patterns and themes in books. Expressive, humorous illustrations entice kids to read and reread Tillie & Clementine stories, and in the process youngsters may broaden their reading skills. These books do contain the occasional challenging word, but kids can derive the meaning from context clues in the nearby copy and artwork.

Tillie & Clementine is a brand new series with a Peanuts flair featuring two true nieces to the author. I was blessed to catch a sneak peak at an advanced copy of Noises in the Night and I’m delighted with it! I do not know if there will be any changes, but I think it is adorable as I received it. By my assumption this will be an 8×8″ paperback book and perfectly on level to shelve with other early reader books (such as the Berenstain Bears, Clifford, and other classics from my own youth). This is a book about two girls that live in a town house with their mother and father. Mama is headed out for the night, and the sisters are left with daddy in charge. Which in a mama-run family life can always lead to interesting things when daddy is left to the chaos that we call childhood parenting. *wink*

Everything runs along well in this story and the daddy even tells a creative bedtime story that gets the girls’ imaginations flaring! I was amused and entertained by the tale and I’m positive my own girls and even the Enginerd would appreciate this story as well. I’m definitely intrigued to see the final press print and eager to see what may present next in the Zoo Switcheroo.

Humor and family adventures delight both kids and adults

The second story, Tillie & Clementine: Zoo Switcheroo (ISBN 978-0-9898474-2-1, 48 pages, paperback, $11.99), produces more giggles for children as they consider what would happen if a daddy gorilla and his daughter were also strolling around the zoo like Tillie and Clementine and their family, and the daddies accidentally switched daughters, not realizing just who was riding on their shoulders out of sight.

The Tillie & Clementine books are the first books Killeen has written. He previously illustrated In the Groove, a children’s chapter book by Laura Namey (Huckleberry Press). Killeen was also awarded a fellowship honor from the Washington Post Writers Group for his comic strip entitled “Steve.” He promises more titles will follow to provide more adventures for Tillie &

“Family life is so rich and full of humor,” Killeen said. “It’s a joy to portray the silliness and love that surrounds children as they grow up. I love drawing Tillie and Clementine and sketching out new adventures of theirs in my notebook.”

The Tillie & Clementine series is published by Happy Fun Books in association with Clovercroft Publishing. For more information, visit www.TillieandClementine.com. The books will be available from select bookstores, and online retailers.

Press Release

.Creative Madness Mama reviews Tillie amp Clementine

About Dan Killeen

Dan Killeen is an author/illustrator living in beautiful and humid St. Louis. He is the seventh of eight artistically inclined siblings. Dan grew up reading old Peanuts books which his mom would pick up for him at garage sales along with his outfits. While studying at Indiana University he contributed a strip featuring the beloved character Implosion Boy to the Daily Student newspaper. More recently, Dan was awarded a fellowship honor from the Washington Post Writers Group for his comic strip entitled Steve. He has worked in marketing, graphic design, and theatre production.

The Tillie & Clementine series is inspired by his brother’s two little girls and set in the historic Benton Park neighborhood of St. Louis. All kids deserve to star in their own children’s book, so Uncle Dan is happy to re-create the adventures of his silly young nieces.

(No spam, I promise. Just creative madness ramblings, reviews and life-stories, with quilting and cross stitch inspiration in between!)

About CherryBlossomMJ

The Creative Madness Mama also known as Margaret is a Christian Stay-at-home Mama, married to the Enginerd, Quilter, avid reader and book-a-holic. A book blogger for bunches of different publicists. She loves to share the latest and greatest about books coming out as well as her quilt and other crafty projects with some pictures of her Kindergartener AppleBlossom, newborn Almond Blossom (the boy!) and toddler OrangeBlossom in between. Plotting to be a homeschooler, she's a cloth diapering, breastfeeding, babywearing, list making mama full of a little creative and a lot of madness.